Recipe by Mom2Rose
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 4 dozen cookies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄4 cups butterscotch chips
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 2⁄3 cup solid butter flavor shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:.
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, light brown sugar and then butterscotch chips - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- BUTTERSCOTCH CHEWIES COOKIES GIFT TAG:.
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 2/3 cup solid butter-flavored shortening (such as Butter Flavor Crisco), 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, blend the shortening, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the jar, and stir until well mixed.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the edges are light brown in color.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.