Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you love butterscotch,you may want to try this recipe 8)
- 6 cups light brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups melted butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- Put sugar and water in largesaucepan.
- Heat,stirring on occasion,until boiling point.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Cover mixture,and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid,cook to 310,or hard crack stage.
- Add the butter,& lemon extract,blend.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour into a buttered pan.
- When cold,cut with scissors,and wrap in wax paper.
I was looking for something like See's butterscotch. This came out kind of like Callard & Bowsers, but not as good. I was disappointed. I didn't want to waste all that butter and sugar so I re-ground it and added eggs and flour and made some lovely spice cookies. :)