I recommend using a good candy thermometer to obtain good results. This is a simple, old fashioned candy. Yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pot, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.
- 2Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- 3Do not let this come to a boil until sugar has completely dissolved.
- 4Turn the heat up a bit and continue cooking to the hard ball stage (250F).
- 5Add butter and stir to keep from scorching.
- 6Cook until mixture will separate into hard but not brittle strands (270F) when tested in cold water.
- 7Stir in the vanilla.
- 8Pour candy in a thin sheet onto a greased slab.
- 9(I don't have a slab. I turn a large metal baking pan upside down and grease the bottom- works great!).
- 10Mark into squares while still warm, creasing it deeply.
- 11Break into pieces as soon as it is cool.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butterscotch Candy
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2692.2
- Calories from Fat 828
- Total Fat 92.0 g
- Saturated Fat 58.3 g
- Cholesterol 244.0 mg
- Sodium 1413.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 486.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 443.6 g
- Protein 0.9 g