Recipe by Karen=^..^=
Posted by request, this is in a 1940s cookbook called "The Lily Wallace New American Cook Book".
Top Review by byZula
My kids loved it, my mother thought it was too sweet and I thought it was nice. I liked the gooey/crispy top and how there was a gooey butterscotch bit at the bottom. This is the perfect cake to serve with some ice cream. Thanks Karen!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 12 marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour.
- Measure and sift again with the baking powder and salt.
- Mix the shortening, sugar, and water and cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cool and add vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add dry ingredients with the milk.
- Beat until smooth, being careful not to overheat.
- Pour into 9 inch cake pan lined with paper.
- Place marshmallows at intervals on top of the batter.
- Bake at 350* for 50 minutes.