Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 24 bars.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:.
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and then brown sugar - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 3/4 cup butter, softened, 2 eggs and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- BROWNIE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, blend the butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the jar, and stir until well mixed.
- Spread the batter evenly in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan before cutting into 24 squares.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
A couple of months ago I made 8 of these jars for Christmas presents. Yesterday I got feedback from one of the people whom I had given one to. She said that the brownies were awesome and had disappeared quickly. When I told her I would give her the recipe, she seemed surprised. She didn't realize I had made the jar mix myself, but had assumed that I had bought it from Cracker Barrel. To me, that was a great compliment! This was a fun project, and I would like to do it again sometime!! Thank you Mom2Rose for not only the delicious recipe, but for the great gift idea!
Update Dec 2010 - I have made these brownies a few times now and because the batter is very thick, I usually add 2 Tbs milk to get a creamier batter. In my oven, these take about 30 min to bake. I'll be putting the mix in my Xmas baskets again this year as previous recipients loved them. Dec 18/09 This is a budget friendly brownie mix that is great for gift giving. Thx for posting this Mom2Rose!
I tried this recipe because it is one of the lowest costing dessert mixes I've come across, a plus when making a bunch for gifts. Extremely simple and fit perfectly in my quart sized jar. I always like to test jar gift recipes before giving them away so I made the brownies. The batter is very thick so you have to spread it over your pan. The butterscotch flavor is actually pretty subtle but the brownies were great. Very rich and sweet. Perfect chewy consistency. Made a huge batch. Great family gift!