Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
A simple yummy breakfast! Got this from Chef Michael Smith!
For the Bread Dough
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups of tepid water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 ounce honey
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 1 ounce of dried powdered milk
- 2 oranges, zest of
For the Buns
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, in chunks
- For the Bread Dough:.
- Arrange flour, oats and salt in a pile on a work surface.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the water.
- Sprinkle the yeast over it and then the honey, oil, milk powder and zest.
- Slowly start to bring the flour mixture into the water and yeast mixture until all of the liquid has been absorbed and a dough begins to form.
- Knead for 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a well-oiled bowl; turn dough to coat and then cover with a kitchen towel.
- Place in a warm spot and let rise for 1 hour, until it doubles in size.
- For the Buns:.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Pour sugar into a 12-inch skillet and pour in an equal amount of water.
- Bring to a boil and let the sugar dissolve without stirring it.
- As the water begins to evaporate, the sugar will begin to caramelize.
- When it has reached a golden brown colour, add the butter and whisk until it is smooth and thickened.
- Let cool in the pan.
- Put the risen dough on a cutting board and punch it back.
- Roll it out into a log and slice into 12 pieces.
- Place the slices in the caramel pan so that they are just barely touching and set aside to rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and then invert onto a serving dish.