- 3 slices raisin bread
- 2 teaspoons softened butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the crusts from the bread and spread slices with the butter.
- Cut the buttered bread into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Butter the upper part of a 1 quart double boiler.
- Spread the brown sugar into it and place the bread cubes on top.
- In a medium sized bowl beat together the eggs, milk, salt and vanilla with a rotary beater.
- Pour over the bread cubes and DO NOT STIR.
- Place over boiling water in the bottom of the double boiler and cook COVERED for 1 hour or until a sliver knife comes out clean.
- If necessary add additional hot water to the base during cooking.
- As the pudding cooks it will separate into a custard portion on top and the sauce on the bottom.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the pudding and serve.