Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
- Stir in the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter all at once.
- Mix just enough to moisten.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into center of a loaf comes out clean.
I had a fabulous result so thank you - i took this bread to my mother's on Good Friday and it cut beautifully and we put butter on it and everyone loved it. I added chopped walnuts to give some texture.
I have made this bread before and I still remember what my dear sweet bro. had to say about it. Of all the breads I have baked, this one happens to be my picky eater brother Manav's most favourite bread. When he had the first piece of this, he said and may I quote, "I have just one word for this". When I asked him what that one word was, he replied, "Delicious!" :-) What did you think? Hahaha!! I did use only 2 eggs, though, which is something I really wanted to point out. Also, I used 3 tbsps. margarine(melted) as a substitute for butter. I cut down on the baking powder and salt by half a tsp. each. I also added a cup of walnuts(chopped roughly) to the batter of the bread before baking. My parents enjoyed this bread with their evening cup of tea. This recipe is very good and defnitely a keeper.