Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great bread recipe to add you your collection 8) Mmmm,I can almost smell it baking!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour milk or 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup english walnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Beat the eggs,gradually adding in the sugar.
- Add the melted shortening.
- Sift together the flour,salt,baking powder& soda.
- Add to the egg/sugar mixture,alternatly with milk.
- Add the chopped nuts,blending only enough to dampen the flour.
- Pour mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake appox 45 minutes,or until bread slightly shrinks from the sides of pan.
I halved this recipe and made this to be served with tea this evening. This truly is one of the MOST EXCELLENT Breads I've ever eaten. Thank U so much for sharing this recipe.
Easy and enjoyable - I dropped a handful of dates into mixture. I made one loaf and then made muffins from remaining mix for school lunches.Not very butterscotchy but yummy all the same.
This bread was easy to make, but the taste was completely different than what I expected. It tasted only of brown sugar, and nothing like butterscotch in my mind. Sorry, I don't think I'll be making this one again.