Recipe by evelyn/athens
OK, I admit it. I make these cookies so I can eat the icing!
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
You have to make this recipe when you have a bit of extra time, the frosting takes time to prepare, you also have to have a sweet tooth for this, as the frosting is very sweet, however my sweet-tooth DS enjoyed these very much, thanks Evelyn!...Kitten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces butter, room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup pecans
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the blondies: Set rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13" baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- At low speed, mix in the dry ingredients in 3 additions until just blended.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Make the caramel frosting: Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until fragrant and brown (it is good to do this when you remove your blondies from the oven, as the oven will already be hot).
- Cool, then chop coarsely.
- In a saucepan, combine the cream, brown sugar, sugar, egg yolks, butter and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture thickens, about 12 minutes; do not boil.
- Strain the mixture into a large bowl, pressing it through a sieve.
- Stir in the vanilla, coconut and pecans and cool completely.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the blondies.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 48 small bars and serve cold or at room temperature.
- These should be refrigerated if not eaten immediately.