Recipe by Chef mariajane
Butterscotch helps to bring out the flavor of summer berries in this convenient and simple-to-make tart. You can make the shell ahead - then for a dazzling dessert, fill it with strawberries, blueberries, or other berries, or a combination of them all - Sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds, drizzle with butterscotch topping and serve - Oh so delicious!! NOTE: To toast nuts: Place almonds in dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Crisco shortening, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (plus 2 Tbsp.)
- 1⁄2 cup smucker's seedless raspberry jam (Plus 2 Tbsp.)
- 1⁄2 cup smuckers butterscotch spoonable ice cream topping (plus 2 Tbsp.)
- 5 cups berries, quartered if large (recommended berries are strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in processor; blend 10 seconds. Add shortening, blending until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg, vanilla and almond extracts. Process until moist clumps form, turning mixer on/off to scrape sides.
- Gather dough into ball and, using floured fingertips, press dough into bottom and up sides of greased 9-inch tart pan with removeable bottom.
- Press 1/2 cup almonds over bottom of crust. Spread jam over almonds; spread butterscotch topping over jam.
- Bake until crust is golden at edges, and jam is thick and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Cool completely on rack. Push up pan bottom to release tart.
- Toss berries with remaining 2 tablespoons jam in bowl to coat. Top tart with berries, mounding slightly in center; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons almonds around edge of tart. Drizzle additional 2 tablespoons butterscotch over top.