Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These bars are wonderfully chewy. They smell fantastic while baking and the taste is out of this world. Bet you can't eat just one! Great to take on picnics!
- 140 g butter, plus extra to grease tin
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 350 g light muscovado sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 250 g self raising flour
- 100 g milk chocolate candy bars, cut into big chunks
- 100 g macadamia nuts or 100 g pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (160°C).
- Melt the butter in a small bowl and leave to cool.
- Butter a shallow tin about 20 X 24 cm.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the butter to the eggs with the sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Tip in the flour and stir in with the chocolate and three quarters of the nuts.
- Don't overbeat.
- Spread the mixture in the tin, scatter over the remaining nuts and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, then cut into 12 bars.
- Dust with icing sugar.
Sooooo good! Out of light muscovado sugar, I used 200 grams dark muscavado and 125 grams white sugar--it was perfectly sweet for me. Also, I used plain chocolate, not milk, to counterpoint the sweetness. The texture was first rate, and the scent of butter and vanilla and caramel is incredibly good! Nice with 10 seconds in the microwave the next day. Another great recipe--thanks, Marie Alice!
These were fantastic. I kept thinking about them and going back for more when I thought nobody else was looking. Yummy!