Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are tasty candy treats that I've enjoyed for many years at my grandmother's house. The recipe comes from a very old newspaper clipping of unknown origin.
For the crust
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
For the filling
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (6 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- 12 ounces peanut butter (1 1/4 c)
- 3 cups corn flakes
For the frosting
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Crust: Blend flour, brown sugar and butter at low speed of mixer. Mixture will be crumbly. Press into ungreased 13x9" pan and bake at 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Filling: In large saucepan bring granulated sugar and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, add butterscotch pieces and peanut butter and stir until melted. Stir in corn flakes. Spread over baked crust. Cool.
- Frosting: Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the milk in a small saucepan. Add the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Spread onto cooled filling. Cut into bars while warm.
- Makes about 36 bars.
These are fantastic!!!! Must try.