Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is more a dessert cake, serve with cream. Pink ladies are a sweet red eating apple
Make and share this Butterscotch Apple Spice Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 pink lady apples, thinly sliced into rings
- 375 g plain flour
- 30 g cornflour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 440 g light brown sugar
- 250 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 180 g butter
- 330 g caster sugar
- 200 ml cream
- 120 g butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Butterscotch sauce: combine sugar and 125ml water into a small pot and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Cook, while brushing sides of pot with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals forming, until dark caramel in colour about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 25ml cream and 20g butter.
- Pour half of this mixture into the base of a greased 18cm x 23cm pan. Place the sliced apple onto the butterscotch and set aside.
- Return remaining caramel mixture to the head, add remaining cream and butter and cook until combined 2-3 minutes.
- Sieve together the flours, baking powder and spices into the bowl of an electric mixer, add sugar and mix to combine. With mixer on low speed, add butter and mix until just combined.
- Whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla paste in a separate bowl. Add one third to milk mixture to mixer and beat until just combined. Repeat process twice with remaining mixture.
- Spoon mixture over butterscotch apples, smooth top and bake until golden and firm to the touch.70-80 mins, then turn onto a wire rack.
- Serve immediately with extra butterscotch sauce.