Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A self saucing pudding to warm you on cold days. As the pudding bakes it forms a butterscotch sauce under the apple studded crust. This comes from another of my Alison Holst recipe books from the 1970's. Still making in the 2000's :)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 apples, diced (cooking ones are best, but I use whatever I have on hand)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups water
- Sift the flour, baking powder, spice and salt together.
- Peel, core & dice apples and toss them into the flour mixture.
- Add milk and mix with a knife to blend all the ingredients.
- Spread mixture into a greased baking dish approx 9" (23cm) square or a round one of similar size.
- Measure the topping ingredients in the order given into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pour boiling mixture carefully over the batter in the pan.
- Bake uncovered at 375'- 400'F (190' - 200'C) for approx 45-60mins, or until topping is firm in the centre and golden brown.
- Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.