Recipe by Cookin-jo
This is a really good chewy, nutty bar with a bit of chocolate drizzled on top. I like it cut in very small squares on a tray of sweets.
Top Review by Fairy Godmother
I have been making these bars for over 20 years but my instructions also have me bake the cake again for 10 minutes after you put on the topping. These are one of the most requested goodies when I make up my Christmas trays.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar (packed lightly)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced almonds
- 1 semi-sweet chocolate baking square
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Melt butter and pour into mixing bowl. Blend in the sugar, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder.
- Spread in a greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then cool.
- For the topping melt the butter, add the remaining ingredients (except the almonds and chocolate) and boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Take off the heat and stir in the almonds.
- Pour over the baked base.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over. Let cool completely.