- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (3/4 cup)
- 1 (1 3/4 lb) butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook shallots and squash, stirring, until shallots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, brown sugar, sage, and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, pepper, and salt to taste.