Butternut Squash Spoon Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook buttermilk in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat, stirring often, 4-6 minutes or until bubbles appear around edges (do not boil); remove from heat. (Mixture may curdle).
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a large bowl; stir in squash and cheese. Combine cornmeal, and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir cornmeal mixture into squash mixture. Pour warm buttermilk voer squash mixture; whisk until smooth. Let stand 5 minutes or until lukewarm.
- Brush a 2 1/2 to 3 qt baking dish or 12" cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoons mielted butter; stir remaining butter into squash mixture.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into squash mixture. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.