Wonderful side dish for the Holidays! From Southern Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cook buttermilk in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat, stirring often, 4-6 minutes or until bubbles appear around edges (do not boil); remove from heat. (Mixture may curdle).
- 3Lightly beat egg yolks in a large bowl; stir in squash and cheese. Combine cornmeal, and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir cornmeal mixture into squash mixture. Pour warm buttermilk voer squash mixture; whisk until smooth. Let stand 5 minutes or until lukewarm.
- 4Brush a 2 1/2 to 3 qt baking dish or 12" cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoons mielted butter; stir remaining butter into squash mixture.
- 5Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into squash mixture. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- 6Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Spoon Bread
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 114.3 mg
- Sodium 490.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g