Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Wonderful side dish for the Holidays! From Southern Living.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups thawed frozen unseasoned, pureed butternut squash
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup stone ground white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook buttermilk in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat, stirring often, 4-6 minutes or until bubbles appear around edges (do not boil); remove from heat. (Mixture may curdle).
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a large bowl; stir in squash and cheese. Combine cornmeal, and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir cornmeal mixture into squash mixture. Pour warm buttermilk voer squash mixture; whisk until smooth. Let stand 5 minutes or until lukewarm.
- Brush a 2 1/2 to 3 qt baking dish or 12" cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoons mielted butter; stir remaining butter into squash mixture.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into squash mixture. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Great recipe. We all loved it and will make it again!
Won't make again. I used fresh butternut squash and fresh rosemary. My family thought it was bland. Could have used more seasoning.