Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Creamy squash makes good soup with very few ingredients. Select a really good store bought salsa for this soup and add a sprinkling of chopped fresh oregano or marjoram as a garnish.
- 1 large butternut squash or 1 large pumpkin, halved and seeded
- 5 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 4 -8 tablespoons salsa
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F Place the squash on a baking sheet and brush with some of the oil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 375F and cook for 20-25 minutes more or until the squash is tender.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy pan and cook the onions over a low heat for about 10 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, scoop the squash out of the skin, adding it to the pan.
- Pour in 5 cups of water and stir in salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool the soup slightly, then process it in a blender or food processor to a smooth puree.
- Alternatively press the soup through a fine sieve with a back of a spoon.
- Reheat without boiling, then ladle it into warmed bowls.
- Top each serving with a spoonful of salsa and serve.