Recipe by kyle martin
Surprisingly light and incredibly delicious.
Top Review by lauralie41
My DD enjoyed this soup and shrimp. I cut this recipe in half, used thawed frozen shrimp, and vegetable broth. The soup was very creamy and pretty when pureed. I laid the shrimp on top of the soup and than sprinkled with the cilantro.
- 24 large shrimp, in shell peeled, leaving tail and first segment of shell intact, and deveined (about 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2⁄3 cup chopped shallot
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 3⁄4 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (5 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss shrimp with ginger in a bowl and marinate, chilled, 30 minutes.
- Cook shallot, garlic, and anise in butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until shallot is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add squash, stock, and water and simmer uncovered until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove star anise.
- Puree soup in 2 batches in a blender until smooth, about1 minute per batch, then transfer to cleaned pan and keep warm, covered.
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté shrimp in 2 batches, stirring until just cooked through, about 3 minutes per batch, transferring to paper towels.
- Bring soup to a simmer and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide among 8 bowls and mound 3 shrimp in each bowl.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs.