Mrs Goodall's Note:
Got this recipe from my mom, not quite sure where she got it...but it's yummy. Serve with lots of the salsa. I usually double the salsa recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped (no leaves)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground chimayo chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1FOR SALSA.
- 2Combine all the ingredients except the cashews in a small bowl and mix well.
- 3Add the cashews to the salsa just before serving.
- 4FOR THE SOUP.
- 5Place a large heavy bottomed pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- 6When the oil is hot, add the vegetables and cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes until the onion is opaque and the squash is soft.
- 7Add the apple cider and water and turn up the heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 8Turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer until the carrots are very soft, about 45 minutes.
- 9Add the chile, cumin, chopped mint and cream and let the mixture simmer 5 minutes more.
- 10Remove the soup from the heat and puree it in batches in a blender (or use an immersion blender).
- 11Strain the pureed soup through a strainer and season with salt and pepper.
- 12Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with salsa.
- 13Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup With Spicy Cashew Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.2
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 802.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice wine vinegar