Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 min
Got this recipe from my mom, not quite sure where she got it...but it's yummy. Serve with lots of the salsa. I usually double the salsa recipe.
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped (no leaves)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground chimayo chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- FOR SALSA.
- Combine all the ingredients except the cashews in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the cashews to the salsa just before serving.
- FOR THE SOUP.
- Place a large heavy bottomed pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the vegetables and cook stirring frequently for 10 minutes until the onion is opaque and the squash is soft.
- Add the apple cider and water and turn up the heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer until the carrots are very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Add the chile, cumin, chopped mint and cream and let the mixture simmer 5 minutes more.
- Remove the soup from the heat and puree it in batches in a blender (or use an immersion blender).
- Strain the pureed soup through a strainer and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with salsa.
- Serve and enjoy!