Recipe by stephanierndos
Found the original Recipe in the Feb. 2007 Issue of 'Food & Wine' Magazine - which also calls for apples, I did not do the apples. Needless to say, while cooking - I substituted and added according to my taste -and it turned out very good, and very rich indeed. I served it with 'Savory Cheese and Herb Biscuits' Recipe found here by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin (thanks Bill, they paired perfectly!)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1 3⁄4 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch dice pieces (about 5 1/4 cups)
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 4 1⁄2 cups broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup non-dairy coffee creamer (coffee creamer, dry)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄3 cup smoked cheddar cheese, grated, about 2 ounces
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, heavy saucepan - heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add the apple cider and cook until syrupy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and stock/broth - then bring to slow boil.
- Cover and simmer until squash is very tender (about 40 minutes).
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches.
- Return soup to saucepan and stir in cream.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, & sage - stirring to blend well.
- Serve warm with a garnish of the smoked grated cheddar & enjoy.