Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is from one of the many magazine clippings for butternut squash soup that I have and I've found it to be the best of them. It cuts in half beautifully.
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed into 1-inch pieces (about 5-6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, clopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl combine squash, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper.
- Place on shallow baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, then turn over and roast another 15 minutes, until squash is tender and caramelized, then set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the remaining oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and sage and sauté until translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash, broth, and remaining salt and bring to a boil, lower heat and and simmer for 30 minutes, remove from heat.
- Using a blender or food processor, remove the squash with a slotted spoon and puree until smooth.
- Return to the pot, keep warm. Serve with grated parmesan.
This is an awesome savory butternut squash soup recipe! It was exactly what I was looking for. I strained the soup and pureed all of the vegetables, and it turned out so silky and creamy. I served it with light sour cream (I wanted creme fraiche but couldn't find it) and chopped tamari almonds. Delicious!
What a great recipe. I have made butternut squash soup a million times but I've never roasted the squash. It really brings out the flavor and sweetness. Thank you Kelly M.
Yum! This was my first butternut squash soup and it came out fantastic! I used 1 tsp ground sage as I had no fresh, and I used an immersion blender at the end to puree the entire soup. DH doesn't like sweet and added more black pepper and salt to his bowl, but I thought it was perfect.