Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
My step-daughter brought this recipe to me. She will not normally eat squash, but she loves this soup. CAUTION!!! Before blending, be sure the soup has cooled slightly or it may pop the top off your blender & make a mess & possibly burn you!
- 3 ounces butter
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 4 mcintosh apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup apple juice
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 lime, juice of
- Melt butter in a thick bottom pot over medium heat.
- Saute onions, apples and squash 15 minutes, stirring.
- Add apple juice and cook until liquid reduces by 1/2.
- Add chicken stock and 1/4 cup maple syrup.
- Reducing heat to low, simmer until squash is tender, stirring occasionally (about 30 minutes).
- Cool for about 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, place mixture in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return each batch to pot.
- Simmer on low heat.
- Heat cream slowly in a separate pot and slowly whisk into the soup.
- Add lime juice, remaining maple syrup and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of butter on top.
Super yummy!! The hardest part was prepping the squash, but with the right tools it'll be easier next time (wide peeler, and grapefruit spoon to get the seeds and fibers out). Not sure about the lime juice, though. Only put in 1/2 a lime. Made the soup curdle a bit - not big chunks, but I did notice it. Can anyone explain why it was added in a recipe that included cream?<br/>Post note: Using lime (or even orange, lemon) rind eliminates the problem of curdling.
So good! Easy to make and super easy. Added a can of pumpkin that I had laying around just to thicken it up a bit. :-)
This is absolutely amazing!! Took a while to make, but well worth the wait! I made it with light half and half (5%) cream so it was only 4 Weightwatchers points per serving (and it's a BIG serving).