Recipe by keeney
A wonderful do-ahead, as soup and cider cream can be made1 day ahead.
Top Review by CarolAT
This soup had a great texture but the granny smith apple flavor overpowered any of the other flavors. I was looking for more of a butternut squash flavor with a hint of apple. I also had a few problems with the directions as well. First there was no mention of celery in the ingredients list but was listed in the directions so I left it out of the soup. Also, whipping cream was listed in the indredients list but not in the directions. Not sure if it should have been used with the sour cream cider mixture so I left it out. When making this soup again, I will either cut the apples down to one or leave them out all together, add some celery stalks to the soup, and cut the reduced cider mixture in half for the sour cream.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 2 small granny smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbld dried sage
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy, large saucepan over medium high heat. Add squash, leeks, carrots and celery; saute until slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in apples, thyme and sage.
- Add chicken stock and 1 cup cider and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until apples are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Working batches, puree soup in blender.
- Return soup to pan. Boil remaining 1/2 cup cider in heavy, small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Cool.
- Place sour cream in small bowl and wisk in reducd cider.
- (Soup and cider cream can be made made 1 day ahad. Cover separately and refrigerate.).
- Bring soup to a simmer and serve with a dollop of cider cream.