Recipe by Christy Reilly
This recipe originally came from my Aunt Sue who made a Butternut and Asparagus soup and sent the recipe to her two sisters. My Aunt Chris made changes and created a Butternut and Brussels Sprouts recipe. My Mother took that recipe, made adjustments, and formed the soup recipe that you see here. Now we have 3 sisters all with different squash soup recipes!
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 5⁄8 ounces green onions, chopped, tops and bottoms separated
- 4 cups chicken broth (use Vegetable Broth for a vegetarian dish)
- 15 Brussels sprouts, whole
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute garlic and onion in butter over low heat, covered, until translucent.
- Add squash, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion bottoms, and chicken broth.
- Cook for 2 hours.
- Add Brussels Sprouts, cook 20 minutes.
- Add onion tops, cook 10 minutes.
- Serve or store for the next day.