Recipe by CaliforniaJan
A great soup that is perfect for a chilly cay with a little kick from a blended jalapeño!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) canlow fat evaporated milk (regular if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk (can use regular if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon sugar substitute (or white sugar if you like)
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, ginger, and jalapeno pepper; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the butternut squash and chicken broth, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the evaporated milk, coconut milk, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes more.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with sour cream and thyme to serve. (If you don't have a stick blender, a regular blender works just fine but takes a bit more time.).