Munkee's Mom's Note:
I just love Butternut Squash! This soup is so creamy and satisfying, definitely a staple in our home for the colder months. Just warm some crusty bread and add a salad (we love it with the Pear Gorgonzola Salad #397001) and it's a meal! Enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 onion, small to medium sized diced
- 1 butternut squash, 11/2-2lb cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups chicken stock (I use Kitchen Basics)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 (7 ounce) package amaretti cookies, you'll need about 15
- 1In your soup pot on med-med high heat lightly fry your bacon slices in the olive oil. Once bacon has cooked remove from pot and discard(or eat it like I do!).
- 2Saute diced onion in your oil and renderings until soft and slightly translucent.
- 3Add your cubed squash to pot and saute until flesh starts to soften- aprox. 5-8min.
- 4Add your stock and turn up heat enough to produce a good simmer without boiling and cook for another 10-15 min stirring occasionally until squash is soft.
- 5Stir in salt, pepper, pumpkin pie spice and sugar.
- 6Take off heat(for safety) and with either an immersion blender or potato masher break down the squash into a puree, leave chunks of squash if you prefer. Be sure to thoroughly mix in the spices if using the potato masher, the immersion blender will take care of that for you.
- 7Now is the time you can taste and adjust your spices and if you prefer a thicker soup place pot back on med heat and continue to cook out the moisture.
- 8Once you are satisfied with your taste and consistency stir in the half and half.
- 9On each serving take one or two amaretti cookies and crush them in your hand and sprinkle on top of the soup, yum!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup W/Amaretti Cookie Crumbs
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.8
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 140.6 mg
- Sodium 596.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 13.3 g