1/2 Photos of Butternut Squash Soup - Vegan
1 hr 35 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This was one of the recipes I made in the Vegetarian Cooking class I attended at Johnson & Wales University Culinary School. This soup was particularly delicious because you could REALLY taste the sweet, earthy goodness of the squash, because it was not masked over by heaps of butter or cream. This class was also the first time I had used an immersion blender (industrial stength, of course!). This mechanical wonder pureed our gigantic pot of soup into pure, velvety smoothness in minutes. At home, I will probably use my plain ol' blender, and work in batches. Since I did get this recipe from the chefs at the Culinary School, please note the "precise"ness of the directions regarding the size of the dice etc. I am sure at home, we are all not that precise, but for one day, it was fun to cook with the pros!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts vegetable stock
- 4 lbs butternut squash
- 2 cups carrots, diced 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cups celery, diced 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup onion, diced 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1Cute butternut squash in half lenghtwise and remove seeds.
- 2Place squash cutside down on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until squash is soft to the touch, and the skin begins to pull away from the flesh.
- 3Remove from oven and let cool.
- 4Spoon roasted squash out of the skin and pass it through a ricer or food mill to remove any of the stringy fibers.
- 5Heat olive oil in a large stockpot and sute/swet the carrots, celery and onions, until the onions and carrots just start to caramelize.
- 6Deglaze the pot with sherry.
- 7Add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- 8Add the squash, reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- 9Remove the by leaf, and puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender until it reaches a smooth creamy consistency.
- 10Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- 11Garnish with chopped parsley and paprika and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup - Vegan
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.3
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 253.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: