1/3 Photos of Butternut Squash Soup or Bisque (Roasting Method)
What makes this soup so flavorful is that you roast the veggies in advance (squash, onions, apple). The roasting process concentrates and caramelizes the flavors. Then after roasting, it's a simple process to puree all the ingredients in a blender or processor. Just before serving, reheat and serve with croutons and a dollop of sour cream. We like this soup served the day after Thanksgiving with turkey sandwiches and a side dish of cranberry relish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, diced (about 5 C.)
- 1 medium onion, large dice (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 apple, skinned, large dice (1 cup)
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh, chopped
- crouton (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- 1ROASTING: preheat oven to 450. Peel and dice squash into 1/2 inch pieces (see tip at end). Dice onion into 1/2 inch pieces. Toss squash and onion with olive oil and spread pieces onto a large flat baking pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes - add diced apple - and continue roasting another 10-20 minutes (30-40 total roasting time).
- 2Tip: while you are roasting, make some "cheese toasts". Put some shredded cheese on top of bread rounds (we like gruyere or parmesan). Bake 10-15 minutes until crispy. These cheese toasts are fantastic soup toppers!
- 3Place roasted mixture into blender with about half the chicken broth; puree (keep hand on lid because hot liquids can cause the top to "explode" off with built up steam). Add remaining chicken broth, half-and-half, and herbs; puree.
- 4Transfer mixture to saucepan; reheat gently.
- 5Serve with a dollop of sour cream and croutons.
- 6TIP: to prepare squash, first cut squash in half horizontally. Place flat end onto cutting board to stabilize squash and use a peeler to remove skin. Remove seeds. Then cut into lengths, and then into diced pieces.
- 7NOTE: if you have leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving, add about 1/2 cup, which will thicken the soup and add a nice smoothness.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup or Bisque (Roasting Method)
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.9
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 8.9 mg
- Sodium 462.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g