Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
From September 2009
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1. To prepare soup, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, carrot, and onion; sauté for 12 minutes. Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and salt.
- 2. Place squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.