1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash Soup - America's Test Kitchen
Maureen in MA's Note:
Prepeeled squash is NOT used in this recipe. Low-sodium chicken broth can be substituted for the vegetable broth. If you use a blender to puree the soup, fill the jar two-thirds full-not more-and process in batches. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch chunks (about 7 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and green parts only, quartered lengthwise, sliced thin, and washed thoroughly (about 1 1/2 cups)
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 -2 cup water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- sour cream (for garnish)
- 1Place squash in bowl, cover, and microwave until paring knife glides easily through flesh, 14 to 18 minutes, stirring halfway through. Carefully transfer squash to colander set in bowl (squash will be very hot) and drain for 5 minutes; reserve liquid.
- 2Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add squash, leek, and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until squash pieces begin to break down and brown fond forms in bottom of pot, 10 to 13 minutes.
- 3Add 2 cups broth and scrape bottom of pot to loosen and dissolve fond. Add remaining 2 cups broth, reserved squash liquid, 1 cup water, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, and cayenne. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until leeks are fully tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- 4Remove and discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Working in batches, process soup in blender until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Return soup to clean pot and bring to simmer, thinning with up to 1 cup water to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve with dollop of sour cream. (Soup can be made up to 2 days in advance.).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup - America's Test Kitchen
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.3
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 12.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: