1/10 Photos of Butternut Squash Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Good comfort soup. I like to make extra bacon to crumble on top. It does have a little heat to it, so if your taste buds are sensitive, cut back on the red and black peppers. Recipe comes from Southern Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 (12 ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed or 3 lbs fresh butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) container fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- sour cream (for garnish)
- ground red pepper (for garnish)
- 1Cook bacon slices in large pot until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon and drain.
- 3Reserve 2 tbsp drippings in pan.
- 4Crumble bacon and set aside.
- 5Saute onion and carrots in bacon drippings over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes (until onion is tender).
- 6Add celery and apple to pan and saute 5 minutes.
- 7And garlic and saute 1 minute.
- 8Add squash and chicken broth.
- 9Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 10Process mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- 11(Hot mixtures will erupt out of blender if too full- believe me I know).
- 12Return mixture to pot.
- 13Stir in lime juice and next 7 ingredients.
- 14Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until thickened.
- 15Top soup with crumbled bacon and garnish with sour cream and red pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 14.2 mg
- Sodium 691.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 6.7 g