Recipe by Papagayita
Quick, easy and dairy free. Delicious and deceptively easy-perfect for entertaining. I always use pre-peeled and cubed fresh or frozen butternut squash. Perfect for a slow cooker.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (~ 2 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup light coconut milk (add to taste)
- 4 sage leaves (optional)
- 4 -6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a large pot over medium heat and film bottom of pan with olive oil. Add celery, carrot, onion and butternut squash. Saute until vegetables have softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add stock and sage leaves. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer until squash is soft and cooked through. Add more stock as needed.
- Remove sage leaves. Puree soup using an immersion blender or regular blender.
- Add coconut milk, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Grate nutmeg over individual bowls before serving.