Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
adapted from The Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary edition. Sent in by Kathleen Kirby-Turner
- 3 lbs butternut squash (or pumpkin)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 teaspoons ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 12 ounces tofu, extra soft
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds. Place it cut-side up in a baking pan with about 1/4 inch of water. Cover with foil and bake at 375 F for about 45 minutes, or until soft. Allow to cool completely. I usually do this step early in the day.
- In a large soup pot heat the oil. Add the leeks, celery and ginger and cook until soft but not browned - five to ten minutes.
- Peel the cooled squash then cut into pieces and add to the soup pot. Pour in 4 of the cups of stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tofu to the pot and then puree the soup using a blender or food processor. Return to heat add remaining 2 cups of stock and the salt. Stir thoroughly.