Recipe by Lisa Clarice
This recipe came from the Culinary Arts Cookbook and it's very easy to make and delicious! The honey and cinnamon bring out the sweetness of the squash. This soup will impress your friends and family! I have tried other squashes with this soup and it's not as good, so stick with butternut. Enjoy!
Top Review by karalyn5272
This is a fabulous soup. Everyone in my family loved it and was asking for more! Thanks for posting! For a little add in, cashews really add some flavor and the flavors really work well together.
- 1 tablespoon butter (I use vegan spread)
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 cups butternut squash (okay if you use a little more)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Three cups of butternut squash totals about one and half large squash. Just cut the squash in half length wise. Cut off the stem as well. Scoop out the seeds. No need to peel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the squash on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for one hour or until soft. You can do this step ahead of time. Your house will smell so good!
- Once you are ready to start your soup, place the diced onion and carrot into a large pot over medium heat with about a tablespoon of butter. Cook until tender. Scoop out the squash and add three cups of squash into the pot along with four cups of veggie broth. Cook on medium-low uncovered about thirty minutes. Stir in honey, cinnamon, and allspice. Let simmer another five minutes. Remove from heat and let cool at least ten minutes. Puree soup in a blender until smooth or use a soup hand blender. Make sure all lumps are out. If you desire, add 1/4 cup half and half. This will make the soup a little more cream like, but not necessary. Reheat soup and serve. Garnish as you like.