Recipe by caetb
This is a great warming winter meal with some crusty bread. The fresh ginger gives it a nice spicy kick.
Top Review by Laurapf
For an even easier way to cook the squash, slice it in half lengthwise and place in a plastic bag, seeds and all, and cook in the microwave. Cooking time depends on the microwave itself. I'd say 10-15 minutes. When soft, remove the seeds with a spoon, then scoop out the squash. Fast, clean, and easy. The soup sounds delicious.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- sour cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Roast the squash for 40-45 minutes or until it is very tender.
- Allow squash to cool.
- While the squash is roasting,saute the onion and ginger in the butter over a medium heat until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Add the broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Scoop the cooled squash from the skin.
- Place half the squash and half the broth in a blender, puree until smooth.
- Repeat with the other half of the squash and broth.
- If needed, add water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Return the soup to the sauce pan and reheat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- If desired, garnish each serving with a spoonful of sour cream.