Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This takes a little effort but to me, it is worth it. A comforting Fall soup. From Taste of Home.
- 3 lbs unpeeled butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 2 large unpeeled onions
- 1 small head of garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash into 8 large pieces.
- Place cut side up in a 15x10-inch baking dish.
- Cut 1/4 inch off the tops of the onions and garlic bulb.
- Place cut side up in the baking pan.
- Brush with oil; sprinkle with thyme.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350°F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are very tender.
- Uncover and let stand until room temperature.
- Remove peel from squash and onions; remove the soft garlic from skins.
- Combine vegetables, broth and cream.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; transfer to a large Dutch oven.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper; heat until soup is warmed but do not boil.