Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This takes a little effort but to me, it is worth it. A comforting Fall soup. From Taste of Home.
Make and share this Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs unpeeled butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 2 large unpeeled onions
- 1 small head of garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash into 8 large pieces.
- Place cut side up in a 15x10-inch baking dish.
- Cut 1/4 inch off the tops of the onions and garlic bulb.
- Place cut side up in the baking pan.
- Brush with oil; sprinkle with thyme.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350°F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are very tender.
- Uncover and let stand until room temperature.
- Remove peel from squash and onions; remove the soft garlic from skins.
- Combine vegetables, broth and cream.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; transfer to a large Dutch oven.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper; heat until soup is warmed but do not boil.
This did not need the whipping cream. Was ok. Will make again with out the cream or with coconut milk instead. UPDATE: made this with the coconut milk, it was better.
ratherbeswimmin', what a swimmingly great recipe only one change instead of chicken broth, I used apple cider instead. Absolutely yummy, I will make again but will definitely add more garlic to the baking process, we topped the soup with Greek thick yogurt and served with San Francisco Sour Dough Bread!
This was good, but not excellent. I doubt I'll make it again, as my 3yo & 5yo daughters did not like it. :( I wanted to love it, as this recipe came highly recommended by a friend, but it wasn't for us.