Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
I am not sure of the origin of this recipe, but I have had it for over 20 years. This is great served with a savory nut bread and a sharp cheddar.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 6 -8 drops hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large heavy stockpot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and rosemary and saute until the onion is soft, about five minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the walnuts. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and let come to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until squash is very soft, about two hours.
- Puree hot soup in a food processor, adding extra broth, if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with nuts.