Recipe by PugMomma
delicious, creamy (w/o milk or cream) squash soup. Great recipe with few ingredients. Original recipe was made with only water, but I add chicken cubes for added flavor. Great soup for the Fall. Yummy! Enjoy!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium onions or 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 6 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 -3 teaspoons brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
- salt or pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and salt and pepper.
- Cover baking pan in foil and spray with cooking spray. Place squash on pan, cut side down and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 mins or until soft. Take out of oven and cool.
- Microwave 3 cups water to boil and add chicken cubes to dissolve. Then add 3 more cups of water to the mix.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add onions and cook until softened. Add flour and cook about 1 minute. Add the 6 cups of chicken flavored water and cook over med heat until thickened.
- Scoop out squash into soup and cook about 5 minutes Add nutmeg and brown sugar to taste. Also salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the soup is cooled, puree in batches in blender or in pot with hand held type blender. If using a blender, it is very important to cool soup first.