Recipe by Kim A. Heaphy
Simple but wonderful hearty soup that is great in winter. Here is a low fat version of a great classic!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and diced (empire, macintosh or other sweet apple)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup condensed milk, unsweetened (or more if you like)
- parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute onions for about 3 minutes. Add curry and chili powders and cook another 2 minutes stiring constantly. Add 2 cups chicken broth to pot and bring to a boil.
- Add squash and apples to mixture and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft. Let cool for a couple of minutes then puree in a blender.
- Return puree to pot and stir in condensed milk. Heat through and serve, garnished with parsley.