Recipe by Deb in Seattle
This is a nice basic soup that is great as main course or a side. I also like to serve as part of Thanksgiving dinner if I'm hosting a large crowd.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups broth, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pan.
- Stir in cream.
- Bring soup to simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional nutmeg if desired.
- note: This can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, thinning with more broth if necessary.