Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a nice basic soup that is great as main course or a side. I also like to serve as part of Thanksgiving dinner if I'm hosting a large crowd.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups broth, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pan.
- Stir in cream.
- Bring soup to simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional nutmeg if desired.
- note: This can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, thinning with more broth if necessary.
Great soup! Made up quick and easy. I used an immersion blender to mix it up. Big hit for dinner party. Thanks!
This is delicious and very simple to make. I was able to just use my hand blender to whip it up or puree it. Feels like you are eating a beautiful Autumn day. It is a gorgeous tawny gold color. My DH love it!
easy! tasty! like the little black dress; dress it up, dress it down! i used a handheld masher, subbed sour for the whipped cream, and topped with bacon crumbles. boyfriend went for seconds! cant wait to try out different toppings/sides!