Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice basic butternut squash soup.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, fine chop
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and cook until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in the squash, broth, thyme, and nutmeg; stir.
- Once heated to a simmer, cover and cook 20-25 minutes, when the squash is tender.
- Remove thyme.
- In batches, blend until smooth (fill 1/2 full, pulse, then run continuously until smooth).
- Return soup to pot.
- Add cream and stir.
- Simmer briefly and then remove from the heat.
- Add additional water or broth to thin if it is too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
I pared this down for just about a half of a leftover roasted butternut squash,and with that the cook time greatly decreased b/c the squash was already cooked. This has loads of flavor; I also added just a dash of ground red pepper. I'll make this again.