Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
We love butternut squash so finding a soup recipe using it was just another way to include it into our menus more often.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 16 saltine crackers
- HEAT oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add squash, onion and garlic; cook 5 minute or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add allspice; cook and stir 1 minute
- ADD chicken broth. Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minute or until squash is tender. Add, in batches, to food processor container; cover. Blend until smooth. Return to saucepan; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- LADLE soup into 8 bowls. Add 1 tablespoons sour cream to each serving; swirl slightly. Serve with crackers.
I made this today and it was exceptional. I did cut the olive oil in half and had to add just a little skim milk to get the mixture to do right in the blender but otherwise followed the recipe as written. I love butternut squash and this is a perfect filling cold weather soup.