Recipe by VNess
Yum...Got the recipe from the friendly folks at the Co-op down the street. A little savory, a little sweet, altogether warming and great for the cool and rainy season!
- cooking spray (olive oil is best)
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 large Spanish onions, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- sage leaf
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400. Coat bottom of baking pan generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- Halve the squash through the stem ends, prick the skin in several places with a knife, and scoop out the seeds.
- Lightly spray the cut surface with cooking spray (or brush with oil) Nest garlic inside the squash halves and place the squash on the baking pan, cut side down.Add the onions and coat with spray or oil.
- Pour the water into the pan, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes more.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins.
- In batches in a blender, combine squash, onion ,thyme, broth, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and puree till smooth.
- If desired, heat a small amount of butter (a couple of teaspoons) in a skillet and sautee sage, adding sage to bowls as garnish.