Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great start or side to a fall meal! Pineapple can be used in place of the oranges. Alternate method for pureeing butternut Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash! which is very easy!
- 2 lbs butternut squash
- 11 ounces canned mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon maple extract or 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs, separate
- 2 tablespoons almonds, toasted, finely chopped
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place cut sides down in casserole dish; add 1/2 inch of hot water. Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes or until tender. Let cool for 30 minutes. When cooled, carefully scoop out pulp and mash with potato masher, ricer or blender yielding about 2 cups.
- Stir squash together with oranges, butter, extract and spice. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Stir beaten yolks into squash mixture. Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff but not dry. Gently fold in squash mixture.
- Spoon into 6 ungreased 6-ounce souffle dishes. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle each with toasted almonds and serve immediately.