Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a Weight Watchers CORE recipe, adapted from the Weight Watchers website AND is vegetarian! (Can probably be made vegan if you sub the condensed skim milk with soy). There are quite a few steps to this, BUT in the end I think it tastes great. The earthy mushrooms and sage are a perfect match to the sweet and buttery squash. Sage is strong so I have 1-2 tbsp listed in the ingredients. Please use your own taste, as the original recipe called for only 1 tbsp. We like sage allot, so I would in fact increase the fresh sage to 2 tbsp when I make this again.
- 2 medium butternut squash, halved and peeled
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, cleaned, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 11 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh sage leaf, chopped (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked (about 12)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Keep one of the squash whole and cut the other into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place whole squash halves cut side down on cookie sheet, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast until very soft, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 3 chopped garlic cloves.
- Swirl skillet to mix and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
- Increase temperature to high and cook, stirring often, 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cubed butternut squash; let cool.
- Put evaporated milk, shallots, remaining 2 garlic cloves and sage in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly bring to a boil, wisking constantly until slightly thickened.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Scrape flesh of roasted squash halves into a large bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher, then add milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 9 X 12-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Spoon half of mashed squash into bottom of pan and spread into an even layer.
- Top with 3 uncooked noodles and spoon over 1-1 1/2 cup of mushroom-squash mixture. Top with 1/2 cup of mashed squash and repeat layers two more times ending with 1/2 cup of mashed squash.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces.