1 hr 30 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This is a Weight Watchers CORE recipe, adapted from the Weight Watchers website AND is vegetarian! (Can probably be made vegan if you sub the condensed skim milk with soy). There are quite a few steps to this, BUT in the end I think it tastes great. The earthy mushrooms and sage are a perfect match to the sweet and buttery squash. Sage is strong so I have 1-2 tbsp listed in the ingredients. Please use your own taste, as the original recipe called for only 1 tbsp. We like sage allot, so I would in fact increase the fresh sage to 2 tbsp when I make this again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium butternut squash, halved and peeled
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushroom, cleaned, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 11 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh sage leaf, chopped (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked (about 12)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Keep one of the squash whole and cut the other into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 2Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- 3Place whole squash halves cut side down on cookie sheet, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Roast until very soft, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- 5Remove from oven and let cool.
- 6Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 7Add 3 chopped garlic cloves.
- 8Swirl skillet to mix and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- 9Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
- 10Increase temperature to high and cook, stirring often, 6 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in cubed butternut squash; let cool.
- 12Put evaporated milk, shallots, remaining 2 garlic cloves and sage in a medium saucepan.
- 13Slowly bring to a boil, wisking constantly until slightly thickened.
- 14Cover and remove from heat.
- 15Scrape flesh of roasted squash halves into a large bowl.
- 16Mash with a potato masher, then add milk mixture and stir to combine.
- 17Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 18Coat a 9 X 12-inch pan with cooking spray.
- 19Spoon half of mashed squash into bottom of pan and spread into an even layer.
- 20Top with 3 uncooked noodles and spoon over 1-1 1/2 cup of mushroom-squash mixture. Top with 1/2 cup of mashed squash and repeat layers two more times ending with 1/2 cup of mashed squash.
- 21Cover pan with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- 22Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes more.
- 23Remove from oven and let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash, Sage and Mushroom Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (592 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.0
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 2.1 mg
- Sodium 183.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves