Recipe by sugarpea
Sage is perfect with squash and cheese. If you can't find butternut, you can substitute acorn or Hubbard.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the squash,cut into pieces and steam or boil until tender; mash with 1/2 T butter, there should be about 1 1/2 cups squash.
- Spread squash evenly into a small oiled casserole; sprinkle with cheese.
- Saute the onions in the remaining 1 T of butter until translucent; add bread crumbs, salt, pepper and sage and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the cheese; bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes.